The Postmates background check process is an important part of becoming a delivery driver for the company. In order to begin delivering and earning money, it’s crucial to understand how long it takes for a background check to be cleared.
Postmates states that it typically takes around 3-10 days for a background check to be completed.
However, other sources suggest that the process may be quicker, with some saying it can be completed within 24-48 hours.
It’s important to note that the timeline can vary and is dependent on various factors, such as the type of check being performed and individual circumstances.
In this article, we’ll delve deeper into the background check process and provide a more accurate estimate of how long it takes to complete.
- 1 Official Postmates Timeline
- 2 Factors that Affect Timeline
- 3 Steps of the Background Check Process
- 4 What Does a Postmates Background Check Include?
- 5 Exclusions from Postmates Background Check
- 6 Timelines for Specific Aspects of the Check
- 7 Possible Statuses of the Background Check
- 8 Final Thoughts on How Long Do Postmates Background Checks Take to Come Back?
Official Postmates Timeline
According to Postmates, the background check process takes an average of 3-10 days to complete. This means that most applicants can expect to receive a status update within this time frame. However, it’s important to note that this timeline is just an average, and the actual length of time it takes to complete the check can vary based on the factors mentioned above.
It’s worth keeping in mind that the timeline provided by Postmates is just an estimate, and there may be instances where the process takes longer or shorter than the stated range. If you haven’t received an update on the status of your background check after 10 days, it may be worth reaching out to Postmates to inquire about the status of your application.
Factors that Affect Timeline
There are several factors that can impact the length of time it takes for a Postmates background check to be completed. Some of these factors include:
- Different types of checks: There are various types of background checks that Postmates may order on applicants. Some of these checks may take longer to complete than others, depending on the information being requested and how readily it is available.
- Individual circumstances: Every applicant is unique, and certain aspects of an individual’s background may take longer to verify than others. For example, if an applicant has a criminal record that spans multiple jurisdictions, it may take longer to complete a criminal background check than it would for someone with a clean record.
- Potential delays by background check company: Postmates contracts with a third-party company called Checkr to perform its background checks. If there are delays on Checkr’s end, it could impact the timeline for completing the background check.
It’s worth noting that some of these factors, such as individual circumstances and delays by the background check company, are outside of Postmates’ control. Therefore, it’s important for applicants to be patient and understand that the process may take longer than the official timeline in some cases.
Steps of the Background Check Process
The background check process for Postmates consists of three steps: applicant sign up, authorization, and report review. Here’s a breakdown of each step:
- Applicant sign up for Postmates: The first step in the process is for the applicant to sign up to become a delivery driver for Postmates. This typically involves completing an online application and submitting any necessary documentation.
- Authorization for screenings: After submitting the application, the applicant will be asked to authorize the background check. This typically involves signing a consent form and providing any necessary personal information.
- Report review by third-party company: Once the applicant has authorized the background check, the third-party company contracted by Postmates, Checkr, will begin the investigation. This includes verifying the information provided by the applicant and conducting the various types of background checks as needed.
It’s worth noting that the timeline for completing each of these steps may vary, and the overall length of time it takes to complete the background check process will depend on how quickly each step is completed.
What Does a Postmates Background Check Include?
A Postmates background check includes several types of searches to ensure that applicants are safe and reliable drivers. These searches include:
- Identity verification: This involves verifying the applicant’s personal information, such as their name, address, and date of birth.
- Criminal history checks: This includes a search of the applicant’s criminal record to ensure that they do not have any disqualifying offenses.
- Driving record checks: This involves reviewing the applicant’s driving history to ensure that they do not have any issues that would make them an unsafe driver.
- Motor vehicle records: This includes a review of the applicant’s vehicle ownership and registration information.
It’s worth noting that Postmates’ background checks do not include financial information, such as a credit report, or employment and education history. These aspects of an applicant’s background are not relevant to their ability to be a safe and reliable delivery driver.
Exclusions from Postmates Background Check
There are several types of information that are not included in a Postmates background check. These exclusions include:
- Financial information: A Postmates background check does not include a credit report or any information about an applicant’s financial situation.
- Employment history: The background check process does not include a review of an applicant’s employment history.
- Education: Postmates’ driver requirements do not include any specific education or experience requirements, so this information is not included in the background check.
It’s worth noting that these exclusions are standard for background checks in the gig economy, as this information is not relevant to an applicant’s ability to be a safe and reliable driver.
Timelines for Specific Aspects of the Check
As mentioned earlier, the timeline for completing a Postmates background check can vary depending on the type of check being performed and the individual circumstances of the applicant. Here’s a breakdown of the average timeline for each aspect of the check:
- Identity verification: If an applicant’s information is clear, their identity verification may take approximately between 2 hours and 5 business days.
- Criminal background check: The timeline for completing a criminal background check can vary significantly depending on the city where the applicant signs up to be a Postmates driver. Completing a criminal background check can take anywhere from 2 to 10 business days, depending on the number of offenses on record. It’s worth noting that there are around 3,000 counties in the United States, and there is no centralized database of criminal records, which can impact the timeline.
- Motor vehicle check: The timeline for completing a motor vehicle check also varies depending on the state. It can take a few days to a week to complete this aspect of the background check.
It’s important to keep in mind that these are just estimates, and the actual length of time it takes to complete each aspect of the background check may vary.
Possible Statuses of the Background Check
Understanding the different statuses of the background check process is important for Postmates applicants, as it can give them an idea of where their application is in the process. At any given time, an applicant’s report will fall into one of the following statuses:
- Complete: This is an operational step that returns a list of counties that Checkr will search for criminal records.
- Pending: This means that the background check is still in progress and Checkr is processing the report.
- Clear: If an applicant’s report is clear, it means that they have passed all of the screenings and are eligible to become a Postmates driver.
- Consider: This means that the report is complete, but there is adverse information that needs to be reviewed.
- Dispute: If an applicant fails the background check and believes that the information on their report is inaccurate or incomplete, they can choose to dispute it. Checkr has 30 days to review the disputed information.
- Suspended: This means that the background check process has been paused for some reason, and is not currently being processed.
- Invitation sent: This means that an invitation to become a Postmates driver has been sent to the applicant.
- Invitation expired: If an applicant does not complete the necessary steps to become a driver within the specified time frame, their invitation will expire.
It’s important for applicants to be aware of their report’s status so they know where they stand in the process and what steps they may need to take next.
Here are some common questions that Postmates applicants may have about the background check process, along with answers to those questions:
- Can I expedite the background check process? Unfortunately, it is not possible for applicants to expedite the background check process. The timeline is dependent on various factors that are outside of the applicant’s control, such as the type of check being performed and individual circumstances.
- What happens if I fail the background check? If an applicant fails the background check, they will receive a notification from Checkr explaining the reason for the failure. If the applicant believes that the information on their report is inaccurate or incomplete, they can choose to dispute it. Checkr has 30 days to review the disputed information. If the dispute is not resolved in the applicant’s favor, they will not be eligible to become a Postmates driver.
- How do I dispute incorrect information on my report? If an applicant wishes to dispute incorrect information on their report, they can contact Checkr directly to request a review. Checkr has 30 days to review the disputed information and make a determination. If the dispute is not resolved in the applicant’s favor, they will not be eligible to become a Postmates driver.
It’s important for applicants to be aware of their rights and options if they feel that their report contains incorrect or incomplete information.
Final Thoughts on How Long Do Postmates Background Checks Take to Come Back?
The timeline for completing a Postmates background check can vary depending on the type of check being performed and the individual circumstances of the applicant.
On average, the process takes 3-10 days to complete, but it can take longer in some cases. It’s important for applicants to be patient and understanding of the process, as it is designed to ensure the safety and security of both the delivery drivers and the customers.
If you have any questions or concerns about the background check process, it’s worth reaching out to Postmates or Checkr for more information.